Farmers State Bank is celebrating 100 years of service in the area.
The bank was established on Jan. 11, 1911, and opened for business three days later.
Elected as directors of the new bank were J. Rosholt, K. Rosholt, N.J. Nyhus, C.R. Hoffmann, E.W. Smith, Albert Breit and O.C. Harrington. C.R. Hoffmann was elected chairman of the board. The officers were J. Rosholt, president; K. Rosholt, vice president; N.J. Nyhus, cashier; George Skinner, assistant cashier.
From the first bank building in 1911 on the corner of Fulton and Main streets, in what is now the Hart & Hart office, Farmers State Bank has steadily grown. The bank was there until 1966 when it moved into the old Palace Theatre site at 112 W. Fulton St.
In the fall of 1977, Farmers State Bank added additional drive-up lanes, originally it only had one, to the Fulton Street office.
The downtown office remained the only Farmers State Bank location until August 1989 when the bank built its first branch at 717 Churchill St.
In December 1991, the Farmers State Bank expanded again, this time in King. The bank built its King branch at N2701 County Road QQ, right next to the Veterans Home in King.
The Auto Bank was opened in May 1998 at 118 W. Session St., one block from the main office. This facility serves customers as a quick access drive-up and has allowed the bank to expand its main office.
Farmers’ fifth location was added on May 22, 2000, in Wild Rose at 315 Hospital Road, just off of State Highway 22 in Wild Rose. On June 1, 2005, the bank opened its sixth location at the intersection of State Highways 96 and 110 in Fremont.
On Oct. 27, 2006, the bank closed the Churchill Street Station due to a decrease in traffic after the Auto Bank opened just one mile from the facility.
The bank has had nine presidents in the past 100 years. Julius Rosholt (1911 to 1912), Kim Rosholt (1912 to 1916), Nathan Cohen (1916 to 1921), John F. Jardine (1921 to 1937), Harry W. Rawson (1937 to 1962), Philip L. Karling (1962 to 1969), Reuben M. Danielson (1969 to 1987), Francis J. Vergauwen (1987 to 2010) and Laine M. Lazers (2010 to present).
The leadership and guidance of these individuals, along with numerous other long-term employees, have created a stable environment where the customers are able to get to know the employees over the years.
Farmers State Bank is unique in that they are one of only three banks in the state of Wisconsin that did not close during the Great Depression. Farmers State Bank is a locally owned, independent, community bank. That means all the decisions are made by people who know and live in the area.
Farmers also shows its community focus each year by donating thousands of dollars to community projects.
“We are excited about serving the area for 100 years,” says Lazers. “Throughout the years banking has changed, but one thing has remained the same – our love to see and serve our customers. We look forward to serving the area now and in the future.”