Another summer season is in the books for the Iola-Scandinavia Thunderbird swim team.
The T-Birds wrapped up its season July 28 with an home open and family swim at the Iola-Scandinavia Community Fitness & Aquatic Center in Iola.
“It’s become a fun tradition to end our season with this open family meet,” coach Dick Wright said. “It gives the kids one more chance to hit top times and at the same time have some fun swimming with their parents, coaches and others.”
About 48 of the team’s 67 members and about 25 coaches, parents and friends attended the meet.
The T-Birds won all three of their home meets this season; won the Wittenberg Invitational; and took second at meets in Green Bay and Plymouth.
“This was our biggest team yet,” Wright said. “We also had some of our best performances, with several new team records and lots of new age group marks.”
Morgan Glodowski set the pace for new team records, as she set new standards in the 50 and 100 freestyle; and 100 backstroke and butterfly.
The team held an awards banquet following the meet at Olson Park in Iola. Each swimmer received a certificate and pictures.
Top awards included:
• Most improved (ages 8-11): Tommy Sullivan and Sara Breed.
• Most improved (ages 12-18): Chandler Benn and Megan Struble.
• Hardest worker (ages 8-11): Riley Kostuch and Amber Sperl.
• Hardest worker (ages 12-18): John Faldet and Morgan Glodowski.
• Newcomer of the year (ages 8-11): Laura Saunders and Matthew March.
• Newcomer of the year (ages 12-18): Mikayla Ewert.
• Most outstanding (ages 8-11): Matthew Glodowski and Tayler Carlson.
• Most outstanding (ages 12-18): Katherine Leaf and Powers Spees.
“This was a great team this summer,” Wright said. “Our kids had a wonderful work ethic and were very motivated. I’m really looking forward to our winter season.”
The team’s winter season will begin the Monday after Thanksgiving and go until the end of February. The T-Birds are a competitive team for boys and girls ages 5-18 from the Iola-Scandinavia and surrounding area.
Contact Wright at 715-258-2697 or the aquatic center at 715-445-2411, ext. 317, for more information.