For the past 29 years, the Shamrock Club of New Dublin has organized the largest St. Patrick’s Day parade in the state of Wisconsin.
This year’s Grand Parade and Irish Festival are slated for Saturday, March 16, in downtown New Dublin (New London).
The St. Patrick’s Day parade will have 120 entries including; bagpipers, marching bands, floats, and commercial entries.
Some favorites returning include: The Wacky Wheeler and Jolly Giant Stilt Walkers, Beja Vets and Patriots, TJ Howell’s Rocketcyle, Tripoli Scottish Highlanders (bagpipers), Shamrock Club Color Guard bagpipers, Beja Crazy Cops, Zor Funsters, New London, Freedom, and Preble High School Band, and Finnegan’s Wake. For parade updates visit www.newdublin.com.
The Irish Festival will feature market booths, food and refreshments to purchase.
Two bands will perform from the Irish Fest stage.
From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Switchback, featuring Brian Fitzgerald and Marty McCormack, will perform. They play a blend of American roots with a Celtic Soul.
From 3-6 p.m. The Dublin 5 (formerly known as The Rovers) from Annapolis, Md., will be on stage. They play traditional tunes infused with a Celtic blaze.
Admission to the Irish Festival tent is $5 for the entire day.
Thursday, March 14
• Irish Entertainment, 7 p.m. – At the New London High School auditorium. Talented artists of New Dublin present an evening of Irish entertainment featuring songs, dances, and humor of Ireland. Introduction of Irish Man, Irish Rose, Grand Marshall, and the Irish Lad and Lassie will be made. It’s great family entertainment. Public invited. Free admission, donations appreciated.
Friday, March 15
• Irish Ceili (kay-lee, or dance), 7 p.m. – At the Crystal Falls Banquet Facility. A traditional gathering of friends and family in celebration of music and dance. Public welcome. Free admission.
• Finnegan’s Wake, 8 p.m. Begins at Pup’s Irish Pub two miles west of New Dublin on Hwy 54 in North Dublin (Northport) and proceeds to other local establishments. Finnegan’s Wake is a parody of an Irish funeral.
Saturday, March 16
• St. Patrick’s Day Parade 1 p.m. – Downtown New Dublin. Wisconsin’s largest St. Patrick’s Day parade includes bagpipe and marching bands, festive clowns, specialty, clan, and business floats. Over 100 parade units. Prizes are awarded for best entries.
• New Dublin Irish Fest, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Under the big top by Festival Foods parking lot, downtown. Huge heated tent featuring Switchback playing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and The Rovers from 3-6 p.m., plus Irish food, beverages, and market booths. Entrance to Irish Fest is $5 for the day.
• City Ord. 1236 prohibits having animals in crowds of 100 or more. Please do not bring your pets to the parade for their safety as well as the safety of others.