Severe storms have caused widespread power outages that could last several days, according to the Waupaca County Emergency Management Office.
American Red Cross has dispatched a mobile feeding vehicle to the Weyauwega area.
Red Cross has also established a shelter at Parkview Elementary School, 1300 Werner-Allen Road in New London. The shelter will remain open until the event is concluded.
Services offered include a place to sleep, food to eat, and cellphone recharging.
For questions call 920-973-3713 or visit www.redcross.org.
Waupaca County Public Health advices the following:
Keep Foods Safe
· Prevent food spoilage by keeping the freezer or refrigerator door closed.
· If the door remains closed a full freezer will keep food cold for 48 hours, and24 hours if it is half-full.
· If the door remains closed a refrigerator will keep food cold for 4 hours.
· When power comes back on, put a thermometer inside the refrigerator. If it reads higher than 40 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out all perishable foods, such as milk, eggs and meat. If you do not have a thermometer, toss out all foods in question.
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
· Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air-intake of your house because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside-the fumes are deadly.
Chain Saw Safety
· Wear snug fitting protective equipment: goggles, face and head mask, gloves and boots.
· Don’t over-reach or cut above shoulder height.
· Don’t operate a chain saw in a tree or from a ladder.
· Do not operate a chain saw when tired, if you have been drinking alcohol or taking prescription drugs.
· Don’t smoke while refueling your chain saw.
For more safety information during a power outage visit Waupaca County’s website at www.co.waupaca.wi.us/ or call Waupaca County Public Health at 715-258-6300.