Brooke Hansen, a sixth-grade student at Waupaca Middle School, was the champion of the Waupaca School District’s 2014 National Geographic Bee.
The district-level competition was held on Jan. 8.
Thirty students from grades four through eight qualified for the competition by having the highest scores at their grade level on a written qualifying test.
During the bee, the students answered 11 questions in the seven-round preliminary competition.
A ten-student final round and three-student championship round completed the Geography Bee.
Hansen, the daughter of Lisa and Roger Hansen, will now complete a written test to qualify for the Wisconsin state Geography Bee.
The Geography Bee finalists included sixth grader Joshua Winter, second place, and eighth grader, Rachael Luedtke, third place.
Other qualifiers and participants were:
• Eighth grade – Markie Ash, Owen Gibbs, Cole Glass, Austin Handrich, Sandra Olvera, Bailey Seefeldt and Nathan Wachsmuth.
• Seventh grade – Marcus Finger, Jakob Koran, Justine Panzenhagen, Caleb Studinski, Alex Thuerman, Hayden Walkush and Forrest Ziebell.
• Sixth grade – Jack Erspamer, Sam Grall, Connor Mc Causland, Bryton SIpp, Ali Soerens and Sawyer Sopa.
• Fifth grade – Cody Abhold, Jeremiah Auer, Jordyn Cook, Logan Johnson, William Kleiber and John Weigand.
• Fourth grade – Hudson Bodenheimer, Morgan Fritz, Tyler Schroeder and Maci Tripp.