A bar and banquet hall in Cloverleaf Lakes was destroyed by fire on Wednesday, Feb. 19.
The fire happened shortly after 9 a.m. at the Rustic Resort and Banquet Hall between Shawano and Clintonville.
Chris Dewey, owner of the Rustic Resort, was hospitalized to recover from burns and smoke inhalation sustained during the fire. Firefighters say no one else was in the building when crews arrived at the scene.
Firefighters initially tried to put out the fire right away, but soon realized it was too dangerous.
“It was fully engulfed when we got here – and for the safety of the firefighters, we went to a defensive mode,” said Capt. Chuck Felts, Shawano Area Fire Department. Several fire departments helped fight the blaze, but no fire officials could provide insight as to what may have started the fire.
Dewey’s family and friends are planning to hold a benefit for her to help her get back on her feet after her home and business were destroyed.
The event will be held March 22 at Neighbors Bar and Banquet Hall beginning at 2 p.m. The event will feature music, raffles, a silent auction and lots of food. Organizers are currently looking for donations of food, prizes, or money to help Dewey immediately and to boost the benefit event.
An account has been opened for Chris Dewey at Associated Bank for anyone who wishes to provide financial support. To help support the benefit, stop in at Mickster’s Pub and Grill, located at N2754 County Road Y in Clintonville, or call 715-823-5990.