A new book will be introduced at 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9, at the Iola Mills, 300 N. Main St., Iola.
“Historic Iola’s Beginning: The Heritage of Iola Mills and J&C Wipf Mills” outlines the history of the mill and early Iola.
The book is authored by local historian Lyle Mork, a member and former president of the Iola Historical Society.
In attendance at the special event will be the author, along with current owners Tom and Melody Fucik; former owners Al and Judy Morey; and descendants of the Wipf and Chandler families. The Wipf and Chandler families were instrumental in starting the village of Iola.
Other local residents involved in the mill over the years will also be on hand, including Stella Strand and Chet Krause.
Strand and her late husband Robert purchased the mill in the 1960s and ran it as a gift shop and museum for many years.
Krause, founder of Krause Publications, was involved in the Iola Lakes Group that briefly owned the mill between the Wipf family and Strand ownership.
The mill is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and also has a Wisconsin Historical Society historical marker.
Built in 1860, the historic Iola Mills has undergone a restoration project the last 18 years under the guidance and hard work of the Fuciks, who purchased the mill and adjacent historic buildings in 1996.
Proceeds from the sales of the book will benefit the Iola Historical Society’s ongoing preservation of local history.
For more information, visit www.iolahistoricalsociety.org.