The Scandinavia and the Iola Rural Fire Departments recently responded to a fire Tuesday morning in the 600 block of Oak Street in the village of Scandinavia.
According to Fire Chief Dell Mork, the fire was started by a riding lawn mower parked in the driveway next to the house.
“It is believed to have started by a short in the battery, but this still under investigation,” he said.
“The resident was not home at the time of the fire. Thanks to a passerby for calling in the fire and a quick response by our guys they were able to knock it down quickly and keep it from causing further damage to the house.”
“The mower was a total loss and the house had fire damage to a garage door and frame,” said Mork. “The siding was also melted on the garage.”
No injuries were reported.