Four New London men helped avert a potential tragedy by alerting their neighbors that their building was on fire.
Shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27, three women sitting outside and across the street from an apartment building at 623 Wallace St. noticed a small fire in a pail on its second-story balcony.
The pail was used for cigarette butts and the fire quickly spread. As one of the women yelled, “Fire,” another woman called 911.
Four men who were inside 622 Wallace Street ran across the street and into the apartment building to alert the residents.
One of the men broke through an apartment door to wake a sleeping resident.
Two of the men who went into the building received minor burns as a result of their actions.
The New London Fire Department arrived and extinguished the fire.
No residents of the apartment building were injured. Red Cross was contacted and responded to this location to assist residents who were displaced as a result of the fire.