Clintonville neighborhood evacuated
Residences and businesses near a construction site at Main Street and 12th Street in Clintonville needed to be evacuated, Thursday, Jan. 15 due to a ruptured natural gas line.
A joint press released from Clintonville Mayor Judy Magee and Clintonville Chief of Police Terry Lorge, stated that the gas line was ruptured at 9:31 a.m. The gas line was under the street at Main Street and 12th Street, by the Clintonville Post Office. Utility work has been taking place in that area the past couple weeks.
The press release stated that personnel from the Clintonville Fire Department and the Clintonville Police Department were immediately dispatched to seal off and evacuate the area near the leak.
We Energies sent crews to repair the ruptured gas line.
When it was discovered the leak was significant, Clintonville Street Department personnel erected barricades and set up a detour route, the press release stated.
Electricity was also shut off in the area of the gas leak.
Clintonville Fire Chief Shane Krueger said in a follow-up interview that the fire department’s role was to provide safety to those in the area, including the initial evacuation of people in the vicinity, as well as maintaining a safe perimeter.
“This is primarily done as a cooperative effort with other agencies like the police department,” Krueger said.
He said approximately 17 firefighters were involved performing this role.
Training for various size occurrences like this gas leak is part of the training of firefighters in the fire department.
Officers from the Wisconsin State Patrol, Marion Police Department and Waupaca Sheriff’s Department also helped seal off the area and direct traffic through the detour around the area, the press release stated.
“Services were restored to the affected area at approximately 3 p.m.,” the press release stated.