Manawa Chamber hosts grilled cheese contest
By Holly Neumann
The Manawa Chamber of Commerce hosted a grilled cheese throw down at the Masonic Center.
“I had a conversation with one of our new chamber members and the event came from that meeting,” said Brenda Vander Zanden, promotions and events manager. “The chamber wanted to offer an event for kids and adults alike and who doesn’t like grilled cheese?”
DuPont Cheese was the official cheese sponsor for the June 16 event.
“DuPont is a tremendous local company who supports communities through events like this,” Zander Vanden said. “I contacted their rep and he was thrilled with the prospect. It was a great partnership.”
Hugo Mielke, chief of sales for DuPont, even participated in the event.
“My heart is in the dairy industry,” he said. “So when Brenda called I was pretty excited and said we were in.”
Mielke went on to say that this event will show people how much better real cheese is versus other alternatives.
“I hope it encourages some of these people to find out where DuPont Cheese is located,” he said.
With their griddles all warmed up and ready to go, the contestants set out to create the best sandwich.
There was of course the traditional grilled cheese and one made with chocolate cheese fudge. There was also one made with macaroni and cheese and even one called the Turkinator.
As guests arrived, they got to sample any sandwiches they wanted.
“Everyone gets to taste test and everyone gets to vote,” said Brenda Thyssen, who helped organize the event.
“It was hard to decide, they were all so good,” said Roy Vander Zanden. “I liked the one with apples in it. It has a great fruity taste.”
Vander Zanden was referring to the Granny’s Grilled Apple and Cheddar sandwich made by Chris Mollica.
“I think this event was awesome,” said Sally Gough. “It is something different for our community.”
In the end, Judy Trull took the highest honors with the Turkinator, followed by Mielke with the Maple Grilled Cheese and Mollica with Granny’s Grilled Apple and Cheddar.
These creative cooks will now compete in Mad Dog and Merrill’s grilling competition at noon Sunday, Aug. 30, at the Waupaca County Fair.
Turkey, Bacon, Cranberry Grilled Cheese
2 slices whole grain bread
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 cup mayo
2 teaspoons mustard
4 slices oven roasted turkey breast
4 slices bacon, cooked
1/2 cup grated Dupont Cranberry Jack Cheese
1. Butter one side of each of the slices of whole grain bread, set aside.
2. Mix together the mayo and mustard and set aside.
3. Place one slice of whole grain bread, butter side down on the griddle.
4. Spread some of the mayo/mustard mix on the bread.
5. Place two slices of oven roasted turkey breast on bread.
6. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the grated cheese on bread.
7. Place 2 slices of crispy bacon on bread.
8. Place two more slices of oven roasted turkey breast.
9. Spread more of the mayo/mustard mix.
10. Sprinkle 1/4 of the remainder of the grated cheese.
11. Place 2 more slices of crispy bacon.
12. Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese.
13. Spread the mayo/mustard mix on the other piece of whole grain.
14. Grill until golden, bubbly brown.