Tournament play to get underway
By Greg Seubert
The postseason is right around the corner for several area American Legion baseball teams.
Waupaca will host a four-team Class AA regional, while Marion/Tigerton and Clintonville are teaming up to host an eight-team Class A regional. Both double-elimination tournaments begin Wednesday, July 22.
Besides Waupaca, the tournament also includes Menasha, Hortonville and New London. Waupaca, Menasha and New London compete in the Fox River Valley American Legion Baseball League’s West Division, while Hortonville is in the South Division.
Games will be played at Lakemen Field in Waupaca. The schedule is:
• Wednesday, July 22: Hortonville vs. New London, 5 p.m.; Waupaca vs. Menasha, 8 p.m.
• Thursday, July 23: Game 1 loser vs. game 2 loser, 5 p.m.; game 1 winner vs. game 2 winner, 8 p.m.
• Friday, July 24: Game 3 winner vs. game 4 loser, 4 p.m.
• Saturday, July 25: Game 4 winner vs. game 5 winner, 3 p.m.; same two teams, 6 p.m. (if necessary)
Besides Marion/Tigerton and Clintonville, the tournament also includes Iola, Manawa, Keshena, Oconto Falls, Bonduel and Omro.
Games will be played in Marion and at W.A. Olen Park in Clintonville. The schedule is:
• Wednesday, July 22: Marion/Tigerton vs. Keshena in Marion, Manawa vs. Oconto Falls in Marion, Bonduel vs. Omro in Clintonville, Iola vs. Clintonville in Clintonville.
• Thursday, July 23: Game 1 loser vs. Game 3 loser in Marion, game 1 winner vs. game 3 winner in Marion, game 2 loser vs. game 4 loser in Clintonville, game 2 winner vs. game 4 winner in Clintonville.
• Friday, July 24: Game 6 winner vs. game 7 loser in Clintonville, game 5 winner vs. game 8 loser in Clintonville, game 7 winner vs. game 8 winner in Clintonville.
• Saturday, July 25: Game 9 winner vs. game 11 loser in Clintonville, game 10 winner vs. game 11 winner in Clintonville.
• Sunday, July 26: Game 12 winner vs. game 13 winner in Clintonville; same two teams (if necessary). Game times for the tournament were not available.
Class AA regional champions advance to state, to be held July 29-Aug. 2 in Kaukauna. Class A regional champions will advance to state, to be held July 29-Aug. 2 in West Salem.