The fifth annual Waupaca Learning Center Walkathon is set for Thursday, Oct. 8.
Sponsored by the school’s Parent-Teacher Group, it is the single largest fundraiser for the organization.
The event will be held on the WLC field.
There will not be rain date. In the event of inclement weather, it will move indoors.
The scheduled walk times are:
• 8:15-8:45 a.m. for fourth grader and morning Early Childhood and 4K students.
• 8:45-9:15 a.m. for kindergarten.
• 9:15-9:45 a.m. for second grade.
• 9:45-10:15 a.m. for third grade.
• 10:15-10:45 a.m. for first grade.
• Noon to 12:30 p.m. for after Early Childhood and 4K students.
Every student will be given the opportunity to be a part of their class team and walk as a group during the event.
All students and faculty will receive a Walk-A-Thon T-shirt sponsored by Waupaca Foundry and Waupaca Dental Excellence and designed by Marla Snyder.
Students will raise money by collecting pledges from family and friends in the community and then striding it out during the Oct. 8 event.
Those who know a WLC student or teacher are asked to consider contacting them to make a donation.
The top fundraising class in each grade level will be awarded a class prize donated by local businesses.
The grade level prizes are:
• Clearwater Harbor sponsored boat cruise for fourth grade.
• Little Caesars and Waupaca Park and Rec sponsored pizza and Rec Center/sledding for third grade.
• Little Caesars and Waupaca Park and Rec sponsored Pizza and Rec Center/sledding for second grade.
• Culvers sponsored ice cream for first grade.
• Little Fat Gretchen’s sponsored cookies/ice cream for kindergarten.
• Dairy Queen sponsored Dilly Bars for Early Childhood and 4K.
In addition to the class prizes, support from other local businesses means there will be several prize packages for the top individual fundraisers.
These prizes include a grand prize bike package sponsored by Plainfield Trucking and Adventure Outfitters, first prize of an iPad mini sponsored by the PTG (through reward points earned), second prize of a Beats audio gift package sponsored by the Waupaca Learning Center, third prize of a Comet sports package sponsored by Chain O’Lakes Chiropractic, fourth prize of an arts and crafts package sponsored by Hometown Pharmacy, fifth and sixth prizes of Razr scooters sponsored by Janssen Accounting, seventh and eighth prizes of outdoor fun packages sponsored by Walgreens, ninth prize of a $20 gift certificate sponsored by Waupaca Woods and tenth prize of a home movie package sponsored by Family Video.
There will also be some additional prizes drawn randomly from all students who return their pledge form, sponsored by the Waupaca Area Public Library and the PTG.
One-hundred percent of all money raised will go directly back to WLC to benefit the students.
The funds raised have included materials and supplies for each classroom; art, music and physical education equipment; technology improvements to aid learning; field trip support; and a large investment in new playground equipment.
People may contact Waupaca Learning Center or email@example.com to volunteer or make a direct donation.