Tummy Warmer Cook-off highlights activities
By Bert Lehman
The city of Clintonville will play host to its annual Winter Whirl event this weekend.
To kickoff the event, Friends of the Library will conduct a used book sale on Thursday, Jan. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 22 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Clintonville Public Library. The used book sale will also take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Jan. 23.
The highlight of the event on Saturday will be the 27th Tummy Warmer Cook-off at the Clintonville Recreation Center. Those participating in the contest will compete in the following catagories: mild chili, hot chili, chicken soup, and a miscellaneous category.
Judging will start at 9 a.m. There will be three judges for each category. Each entry will be judged on appearance, aroma, creativity/uniqueness, texture, taste/flavor, and aftertaste. First and second place entries will receive an engraved trophy.
A new award will be the People’s Choice Award. Attendees will decide which entry is the best out of all divisions.
After judging is completed, the entries will be made available to the public at a price of $1 for an 8 oz. serving and 50 cents for a 4 oz. serving. There will also be other food and beverages available.
All profits will be used to offset the cost of the Winter Whirl event.
Justin McAuly, Parks and Recreation director, said entries for the competition are still being sought. Those interested in entering the Tummy Warmer contest can call Mc Auly at 715-250-0216.
Other activities scheduled during Winter Whirl include:
Saturday, Jan. 23
• Pie & Ice Cream Social from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Clintonville Community Center.
• Craft & Vendor Faire from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Clintonville Community Center and Rec Center.
• Live music with Grayling Pingel from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Clintonville Rec Center.
• “Minions” movie showing at 4:30 p.m. at the Clintonville Rec Center.
Sunday, Jan. 24
• Porkie Breakfast from 7:30 to 11 a.m. at Aster Retirement Community to support Clintonville Wise Guys.
• Children’s Carnival from 1 to 3 p.m. at St. Rose/St. Mary School.