New London looks to step up performance
By Scott Bellile
The New London track and field team will spend this season building a more competitive edge than it’s had in past seasons.
Head coach Amber Yerkey provided thoughts on how the Bulldogs will look this spring:
Coaches and their respective track events: Head Coaches: Nick Schaefer (distance, middle distance, distance relays) and Amber Yerkey (sprints, sprint relays, high jump). Assistant Coaches: James Fischer (hurdles), Monica Koeller (triple jump, long jump), Marc Marsh (shot put and discus) and Zack Johnson (pole vault).
Athletes to watch (and grade level; track events): Robbie Watling (11; 1600 and 3200-meter runs), Matt Dobija(9; 1600 and 3200) Marty Metko (11; 400-meter dash and 800-meter run), Calista Wenzel (11; 1600 and 3200), Taya Fecteau (9; 400 and 800), Anna Huested (12; 100-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles), Cassidy Pethke (12; 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles and pole vault), Natalie Degal (12; long jump), Bailey Briner (12; triple jump and relays); Jonah Backus (12; 400 and pole vault), Shane Borree (10; triple jump), Jack Noffke (10; shot put), Jon Lee (11; 300 hurdles), Bryar Tuchscherer (9; high jump) and Brennan Stroesenreuther (9; high jump).
How have your recent seasons been? “We have been slowly building to be competitive at county, conference and regional levels.”
What are your team’s strengths? “We have a great base of quality individuals that are great at working together and pushing each other. Our team camaraderie has been our building block the last couple years and serves as a platform to get us where we want to be.”
What will your team need to work on? “Learning how to compete at the top of each event. Just keep the great team atmosphere we have developed over the past couple of years going.”
Do you predict any successes at sectionals or state? “Hopefully we will be well represented at the sectional level with the ultimate bonus of getting some athletes through to state.”
What do you want your athletes to learn this season? “Keep progressing together as a team and learning what it takes to be competitive in the top end of the events.”
New London Bulldogs track schedule
Meets begin at 4 p.m. unless noted.
- Thursday, March 31 at UW-Stevens Point (Invite)
- Friday, April 1 at Seymour (Invite)
- Tuesday, April 19 at New London High School (Conference Relays)
- Saturday, April 23, 9:30 a.m. at Waupaca (Waupaca County Meet)
- Tuesday, April 26 at Shawano (Quad with Green Bay East and West De Pere)
- Thursday, April 28 at Clintonville (Dual)
- Tuesday, May 3 at Xavier High School (Quad with Green Bay East and Seymour)
- Monday, May 9, 2016 at Waupaca (Relays)
- Friday, May 13 at Seymour (Conference Meet)
- Tuesday, May 17 at West De Pere (JV Invite)
- Monday, May 23 at TBA (Regionals)