Manawa baseball team going back to basics
By Greg Seubert
After winning only three games last season and posting an 0-14 record in Central Wisconsin-8 Conference, the Manawa baseball team is ready for a fresh start.
That fresh start began March 29 with a season-opening 7-0 win over Tigerton.
“We used five pitchers and gave up four hits,” coach Carey Celske said.
Celske will have several options when it comes to pitching, including seniors John Holtz, Camden Moser and Luke Wilz; junior Billy Murphy; sophomore Bryce Millard; and freshmen Jeven Sachtjen, Bo Koehn and Seth Forbes.
“I’m not real set on letting guys throw for entire games,” Celske said. “Last year, our pitchers threw strikes, but we couldn’t execute behind the mound. That was our demise. If we can get two outs right away, that’s critical.”
Holtz and Moser did not participate in winter sports and have been pitching since December, according to Celske.
“They’ve been throwing at least three days a week since Christmas,” he said. “I think I have enough pitchers. It gives you flexibility and not a lot of coaches have that luxury.”
Other returning letterwinners include seniors Neil Buschke, Todd Olsen and Alex Rhoden; and sophomore Cade Poppy, Sophomore Travis Ewers and freshmen Nate Reynolds, Jared Buschke, Austin Kitowski and Colton Wegener round out the roster.
Celske said the Wolves will have to rely on several players this season.
“I can’t have four seniors carrying this team,” he said. “That’s less than half of our lineup.”
Celske returned to coach the Wolves last season after taking a few years off.
“I gave it up for a few years and last year was very eye-opening,” he said. “We went back to basics. I’m basically building these kids from the ground up.”
The Wolves are scheduled to open CWC-8 play Thursday, April 7, at Shiocton.
Celske expects Bonduel, Iola-Scandinavia, Pacelli and Shiocton to contend for a conference title.
“All those teams have great youth programs,” he said.
Manawa 2016 Baseball Schedule
- Tuesday, March 29 – vs. Tigerton, 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 31 – at Almond-Bancroft, 4:30 p.m. (to be rescheduled)
- Friday, April 1 – vs. Iola-Scandinavia, 4:30 p.m. (to be rescheduled)
- Thursday, April 7 – at Shiocton, 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 18 – vs. Weyauwega-Fremont, 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 19 – vs. Shiocton, 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 21 – vs. Amherst, 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 25 – at Wittenberg-Birnamwood, 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 28 – vs. Bonduel, 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 2 – at Pacelli, Stevens Point, 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 5 – at Iola-Scandinavia, 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 7 – vs. Wild Rose, Lourdes Academy at Wild Rose, 10 a.m.
- Monday, May 9 – at Weyauwega-Fremont, 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 12 – at Amherst, 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 16 – vs. Wittenberg-Birnamwood, 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 20 – at Bonduel, 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 23 – vs. Pacelli, 4:30 p.m.