Photos, memorabilia, vintage wedding dresses on display
Velvet and lace, silk and tulle, twice-worn or homemade — the stuff of wedding dresses will bring an air of romance this summer to the Fremont Area Museum, N7403 State Highway 110, Fremont.
The Fremont Area Historical Society will open its summer season at the museum from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 28. It will be open Saturdays through Sept 3.
The oldest dress on loan for the 2016 season is from 1896, and was worn a second time in the 1970s by a granddaughter of the 1890’s bride. The newest dresses are from the 1970s.
Photos and memorabilia are on display in bookcases loaned by Lewin Furniture of Fremont.
Visitors this year can take home a free ornament while supplies last.
The fabric stars, in patriotic or Christmas colors, were made and donated to the society by Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party, an informal group that meets in the museum.
Visitors are invited to study a bulletin board full of photographs that need identification.
Most of them originally appeared in the Weyauwega Chronicle or the Appleton Post-Crescent. Many appear to be from the 1950s; the youngest schoolchildren pictured would now be in their 60s.
Interior remodeling has revealed original wainscoting that can be viewed on two walls in the 1884 brick building.
Additional exhibits include information about the Yellowstone Trail, a road-improvement project that arrived in Fremont in 1915; a corner remembering one-room schools; classic artifacts of the Fremont area; and items relating to the lifeblood of the region, the Wolf River.
Special events throughout the summer season include an ice cream social on July 2.
July 9 and Aug. 13 have been designated as Acquisitions Days, when donors may bring in objects that may be appropriate for donation to the museum.
At other times, donations may be made by appointment.
For more information, people may call 920-594-1474 or email email@example.com.