Gas leak causes evacuations
Power shut off in Clintonville neighborhood
By Bert Lehman
A natural gas leak caused the evacuation of part of Clintonville Thursday, June 2.
Shane Krueger, fire chief for the Clintonville Fire Department, told the Clintonville Tribune-Gazette that the gas leak occurred around noon when a private contractor struck a gas line at a residence.
“There was some work being done at a residence and the contractor struck a gas line at the residence that caused a need for an evacuation,” Krueger said. “Approximately 24 homes and two apartments [were evacuated] as a safety precaution because of the wind conditions until the gas line could be shut off by WE Energies.”
Power to the affected area was shut off as a precaution. Krueger said the evacuations took place from Greentree Road to Sunset Road and from Lakeside Drive to Pine Street.
Krueger said it is standard procedure for evacuations to occur when a gas leak is discovered.
“Anytime there’s a gas leak we have the potential for that gas pocketing in a home or in an area causing an explosion,” he said. “You have to make sure you have everybody away once you have the gas shut off and let it dissipate. Then you check the levels with monitors to make sure it is safe before people can return home.”