Gas leak forces evacuation in Clintonville
No injuries in Wednesday morning incident
By Erik Buchinger
A gas leak behind 44 S. Main St. in Clintonville forced 32 businesses and seven residents to evacuate at approximately 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 12.
After a contractor struck a gas line, the Clintonville Police Department and Clintonville Fire Department went building to building evacuating the area between 8th Street and 12th Street as well as parts of South Main Street and surrounding addresses, according to Clintonville Fire Chief Shane Krueger.
“We Energies and Clintonville Utilities were on the scene, and We Energies and the Clintonville Fire Department were able to turn the gas supply off,” Krueger said. “From that point, we ventilated the surrounding buildings until there was no explosive gas levels.”
Krueger said the process took approximately three hours to complete. There were no other damages or injuries during the incident.
Krueger provided signs that could indicate a potential gas leak.
“We Energies is always putting out information like if you smell rotten eggs or hear a hissing sound from the ground or see debris blowing, simply evacuate the area and contact 911 from a safe distance,” Krueger said.