Community foundation distributes grants
The Waupaca Area Community Foundation awarded $44,800 in grants to local nonprofit organizations working in the arts, education, health care and services for youth.
The grants were awarded from the WACF’s Waupaca Area Community Fund at its annual Celebration of Giving Tuesday, Oct. 4, at the Waupaca Ale House.
The grant money comes from its annual gala and other contributions. These grants were awarded:
• CAP Services – General operating support to Ministry Dental Center for dental care and education for Waupaca families living in poverty, $7,500.
• CAP Services – Free help for low- for moderate-income taxpayers in completing their federal tax forms, $5,000.
• Fox Valley Literacy Council Inc. – Literacy services for 30 adult learners in the Waupaca area, $4,000.
• Opera for the Young – Two professional performances of Elixir of Love in Waupaca area elementary schools, including materials for the music teacher to prepare a student chorus to join in the performances, $1,500.
• Rawhide – The About Face Community outreach program, which utilizes community service work to educate, encourage and rehabilitate at-risk young men, $5,000.
• University of Wisconsin-Extension – A part-time AmeriCorps position to educate 300 third-graders in seven Waupaca County school districts on the benefits of eating local, healthy food and purchase of locally grown food for school use, $3,400.
• Waupaca Area Food Pantry – Slow-cookers and cookbooks to support a three-session slow-cooker food preparation seminar for clients, $3,400.
• Waupaca Area Public Library – A cloud-based summer reading program to address the reading achievement gap, $2,000.
• Waupaca Community Garden – Supplies, seeds, and construction of a hoop house to increase the growing season at the garden, $5,500.
• Weyauwega Arts – Production of a short film addressing the heroin epidemic, with 10-15 youth actors and crew members. The film will be used to search for solutions throughout Waupaca and Outagamie counties, $7,500.
The Waupaca Area Community Foundation is a regional family of funds within the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region. It was established in 2003 to improve the quality of life in Waupaca-area communities.