Kitchen fire displaces family
No injuries in Wednesday night incident
By Scott Bellile
A grease fire damaged the inside of a town of Mukwa home on Wednesday, Feb. 8.
New London Fire Department was dispatched to E7556 Flying Acres Court around 6:15 p.m. for a reported kitchen fire.
“The homeowner had said that he was warming a pan of grease on the stove, which started on fire,” New London Fire Capt. Don Conat said.
According to Conat, the homeowner intended to cook french fries and left the pan unattended to go downstairs while it heated. The grease overflowed onto the hot stove top and caught fire. He was alerted what happened when the children shouted the house was on fire.
The man tried to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful. He, three children and two dogs escaped the house without injuries, Conat said.
“The kitchen had fire damage, but the entire first floor of the house had severe smoke and heat damage,” Conat said.
“The family was displaced and we had made a call to the Red Cross to make connections with the family,” Conat added.
When New London Fire Department arrived on scene, heavy, dark smoke billowed out of the doorway and firefighters found the stove and an interior wall engulfed, Conat said.
Firefighters remained on scene for an hour and a half.
The incident follows a fire call to the same neighborhood three months earlier when a pilot crashed his experimental aircraft outside Poppy’s Flying Acres airfield. Two neighbors helped save the pilot’s life by pulling him out of the wreckage moments before the plane exploded.