100 Years Ago
In light of all the "booming" going on in Clintonville, it's interesting that the following appeared in the May 27, 1909, Iola Herald.
An earthquake was decidedly felt through Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and Iowa yesterday morning between 8:25 and 8:45.
In some places in southern Wisconsin clocks were stopped, pictures swayed on the walls and light dishes and bottles were thrown from the shelves.
Even in Iola a tremor was felt that caused a slight tremble to furniture and rolled some light objects to the floor from window sills.
Feb. 4, 1909
Ezra Danielson had one of his periodical insane (drunk) spells on Wednesday and at least nearly frightened his family to death.
While Danielson was using an axe on the door, his wife and little ones called to passersby, who placed a ladder to the window so that they might climb down.
As this is but one of many such spells, it is time something was done to put him under restraint.
Information submitted by the Iola Historical Society.
- County E project planned
- Weyauwega library hosts film on childbirth
- Chain Association to hold annual meeting
- Brat fry at Piggly Wiggly
- Cops make 20 calls to one bar (12)
- Fatal crash on U.S. 10
- Program on snakes at Mosquito Hill (2)
- Nominees sought for Community Heroes Award
- Celebrating summer at Strawberry Fest (9)
- Chain island namesake dies