Iola considers leaving municipal court
Harvancik spoke about NWCJM at the April 9 village board meeting.
He said he had requested the NWCJMC board to base special appropriations on the number of cases instead of on population.
"They turned that down flat," he said.
Harvancik said the village of Iola had 46 cases heard by the court in 2011, compared to the city of Marion, which had 654.
He noted that the two communities pay about the same in court appropriations, but Marion writes more traffic tickets due to a busy highway being located within its city limits.
The city of Marion issues less than 2 percent of their traffic tickets to local residents, Harvancik said, while the other 98 percent are issued to out-of-towners speeding on U.S. Highway 45.
Harvancik suggested that Iola give notice to terminate its NWCJMC agreement in August. He said a municipality must continue participation for one year after announcing termination.
Members of the board asked how this will benefit Iola. Harvancik said that without a municipal court, all of the village's traffic and misdemeanor cases would be handled at the Waupaca County Courthouse.
"We would have no special appropriation fees with the county," he said.
Harvancik said there is a state bill pending that would make municipal courts self supporting. The bill has been pending for about three years.
The Northern Waupaca County Joint Municipal Court serves the cities of Clintonville, Manawa and Marion, and the village of Iola.
Sewer and water work
The board approved advertising for bids to fix the water and sewer relays on Oak and Depot streets. Total cost for the project is about $59,870.
"I hate to add to debt, but it makes sense to do it now while the street is tore up," said Village President Joel Edler.
It was also noted that the work will be easier while the water levels are down in Lake Iola because there is less surface water.
The board also discussed the condition of the sidewalk and an approach near the corner of Depot and Main streets.
The trustees agreed that it would be best to fix that section of sidewalk before the Main Street project begins next year.
Main Street tree
In other business, the board discussed the future of a tree on the east side of Main Street in downtown Iola. According to Edler, a local business owner wants to trim the tree and make a carving from the remaining trunk.
"It's mostly still alive," Edler said. "There's a lot of dead branches."
"I don't want to sacrifice a good tree for a carving," Murphy said.
It was determined that the maple tree could not be destroyed without the board's approval.
Edler encouraged the board members to take a look at the tree before the May 14 meeting.
In other business, the board:
• Appointed Bob Viste, of Waupaca, as building inspector for the village of Iola.
• Approved original class B beer and class C wine license for Diane Ayers, Too-Dars Diner LLC, for the period of April 10 to June 30, 2012, pending police check.
• Approved operator's license for Cheryl Diestler and Leslie Brining, of Just Rusty's at Glacier Wood, pending police check.
Three trustees took the oath of office at the village board's reorganizational meeting, which was held prior to the regular meeting.
All three won the right to serve during the April 3 spring election.
The trio - David Harper, Richard Anderson and Terry Murphy - have previously served on the board.
Harper had served as a trustee from April 1989 through April 1995, and as village president from April 1999 through April 2007. He was re-appointed Nov. 15, 2011, to serve out the term of Brian Tucker, who resigned due to change of residency.
Anderson was a trustee for a few terms in the 1960s. He recently retired as building inspector for the village.
Terry Murphy had served as a trustee from April 2002 through April 2010. During the April 3 spring election, Murphy also won a seat on the Waupaca County Board.
- Manawa citizens concerned about sand mine's impact
- Board to consider fundraising deadline for fitness center (8)
- ArtyFest to use Legion's liquor license (1)
- Contract for 4K Community Collaborative approved
- WPPA Fly-In is this weekend
- City band concert set for June 21
- Breakfast on the Farm
- New London Remembered exhibit opens (1)
- Ms. Waupaca County Senior Homemaker Pageant held
- Council considers funding for tourism effort