Organizers discuss ideas to improve fall event
The Iola Historical Society hosted the meeting to discuss ideas on improving the success of the Oct. 6 event.
Invited to attend were representatives from the Iola-Scandinavia Chamber of Commerce, Sons of Norway, Northland Lutheran Church and the Iola Lions Club, all of which have participated in the community event.
"We need to have a more coordinated effort on behalf of the organizations involved," said IHS President Cliff Mishler.
Some of the ideas he presented were:
• Have more people in Norwegian attire. "It just adds to the allure of the event," he said.
• Schedule a specific demonstration time for each Norwegian pastry.
• Fly Norwegian flags on Main Street.
• Improve the health fair aspect of the event.
Greg Loescher, I-S Chamber president, believes the Taste of Norway event needs to improve, especially on promotion and elaborating on the theme.
"It's a great idea for an event, but we need to work on it," he said.
Loescher's ideas included:
• Need more ads, signage, banners and flags to promote the event.
• State a time for the raffle drawing.
• Have more food beyond Norwegian theme.
• Have a more solid surface for the tent (not grass).
• Have the Lost Arts Fair in the tent area (too crowded in a building).
• Include Potato Row marker dedication this year.
Representatives from the Northland Lutheran Church also added ideas.
Their main concern was that the pastry makers were in a tent last year. They suggested that a building would be better suited because there was too much moisture in the tent.
The Sons of Norway suggested that more items be added to the bake sale, like cookies and old-fashioned fry cakes.
Also, more lefse should be available, because it was sold out within the first hour.
Mishler determined that a few people from each organization should meet as a smaller group later in July to plan the Taste of Norway event.
- County E project planned
- Weyauwega library hosts film on childbirth
- Chain Association to hold annual meeting
- Brat fry at Piggly Wiggly
- Cops make 20 calls to one bar (12)
- Fatal crash on U.S. 10
- Program on snakes at Mosquito Hill (2)
- Nominees sought for Community Heroes Award
- Celebrating summer at Strawberry Fest (9)
- Chain island namesake dies