Mayor Brian Smith proclaimed Friday, April 27, as Arbor Day in Waupaca at the April 17 Common Council meeting.
Smith was also presented the 18th Tree City USA Award on behalf of the National Arbor Day Foundation and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Carol Elvery, chairwoman of the Waupaca Tree Advisory Board and the River Ridge Trail Committee, also recognized Kate and Mark Saunders as 2012 Volunteers of the Year for their service to local trails over the past 10 years.
Kate has served as publicity chair for the River Ridge Trail since 2002. Mark joined the River Ridge Trail committee in 2004 and has led one or more Work Days each year.
The Saunders encouraged others to not only walk, bike or canoe these beautiful trails, but to step forward to volunteer on work days and to join Waupaca's newly formed Friends of the Parks group that will help oversee the trail in the uture, Elvery said.
With the help of donations and grants to fund the trail projects and volunteers to build and maintain the trails, the River Ridge Trail has grown to more than 30 miles of trail throughout Waupaca.
- Winchester ready to launch summer programs
- Strawberry Sam and Sally winners sought
- Book group meeting in Scandinavia
- Hospice seeks pet therapy volunteers
- Student art on display at Waupaca High School
- Senior Recognition Ceremony at WHS
- Friends of lakes group meets at Holly Center
- Lioness blood drive May 21
- Salon celebrates anniversary with street dance
- City hires new economic development director