T-Birds score 30 runs in opener
An 11-run second inning helped the Thunderbirds hand Port Edwards a 30-2 defeat Tuesday, March 27.
Besides outhitting the host Blackhawks 19-1 and scoring in each inning of the five-inning game, the T-Birds also took advantage of five Port Edwards errors.
Brooke Phillips, Elle Maus and Whitney Tomczak each had four hits, including a double. Phillips also hit a home run over the fence in the fourth inning and drove in five runs for the game. Maus and Tomczak drove three and four runs, respectively; Karina Welch and Amanda Aanstad each had two hits, with Aanstad driving in four runs. Kylie Johnson and Jane Oligney also doubled.
Junior pitcher Payton Erickson went the distance, allowing one hit and four walks while striking out three.
• The T-Bird junior varsity team also won its opener over the Blackhawks, 15-3.
Freshman pitcher Brianne Huettner tossed a one-hitter and struck out 10 batters to get the win on the mound. She also led the T-Birds offensively with three doubles. Sophie Erdmann had two hits while Denisha Erno, Jessica Faldet and Katie McNamara added one each.
Both teams have upcoming games with Bonduel today (Thursday, April 5); Wittenberg-Birnamwood Tuesday, April 10; and Stevens Point Pacelli Thursday, April 12. The varsity team will play each of those games at home, while the JV squad will play their games on the road. First pitch for all games is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- WN-Sports Twitter Index
- Track athletes advance to sectional competitions
- Waupaca runners plan first run
- Comet bats finally wake up
- Lakemen post double digits again
- Waupaca girls fall to Xavier
- Outstanding freshmen
- Waupaca, W-F seeded second for baseball
- Athletes moving on to track sectionals
- New London downs Shawano, Seymour