Zach Gauerke struck out 10 Amherst batters, but the Iola-Scandinavia baseball team still came out on the short end of a 4-3 score May 29 in a Division 3 regional semifinal.
I-S took an early lead with a pair of runs in the top of the first inning, but the Falcons tied the game with a run in the first and third.
The Thunderbirds regained the lead on a bases-loaded walk in the seventh, but Amherst's Ryan Makuski scored on a wild pitch in the bottom half of the frame to force extra innings.
Connor Zblewski scored the game-winning run on an error in the eighth.
Jon Prahl had two of the T-Birds' four hits, while Willie Doll had two hits to lead Amherst. The Falcons' season ended two days later with a 3-2 loss to Stevens Point Pacelli in a regional final.
- WN-Sports Twitter Index
- Lakemen have two-game lead
- Waupaca's season ends with loss
- W-F seventh, I-S eighth at state
- Tyler Hart named top player in conference
- Bulldogs pull off miracle win in title game
- Antique Tractor Pull
- Manawa's Block named CWC-8 co-player of year
- Manawa baseball players make all-conference teams
- Seven local athletes named to all-conference team