Open Letter to the Waupaca School Board
This morning, Memorial Day, I attended the wreath laying ceremony at the Veterans Home in King. It was a beautiful tribute to our fallen. The high school students who were selected to Badger Boys & Girls State along with the Waupaca Middle School Band who preformed patriotic songs admirably represented the Waupaca School District. The lesson taught year after year at these functions is that Memorial Day is a day of remembrance and that as we celebrate with our families we should remember why we have these freedoms.
The high school students, who were also band members, had to rush off after the ceremony in time to play for graduation. I am not sure when or why the Board determined that Memorial Day was an acceptable day for graduation but I for one coming from a military family am offended and more importantly concerned. Would you couple graduation with Christmas or Easter because it is convenient? Memorial Day is a federal holiday and should be treated as such. If you choose to hold graduation over the Memorial Day weekend, so be it, but PLEASE let’s keep Monday, Memorial Day and Memorial Day only. We try to teach our children that both graduation and Memorial Day are very important let’s not minimize either by squeezing them into one day. Thank you, Connie Gill.
- Energy Fair announces entertainment
- Car Fit Event in New London
- National Nurses Week
- VEGETABLE GARDENING 101
- Local to star in La Crosse production of "Les Miserables"
- Jenni Hellweg is WBCA All Star
- 24th Annual Energy Fair Now Accepting Advanced Ticket Sales, Volunteer, and Camping Registrations
- Lutheran Women's Missionary Society (LWMS) to hold Spring Rally
- CURIOSITY SERIES: BEHIND THE SCENES
- Iola-Scandinavia School Forests Accepted into Statewide Program!